Tuesday, September 4, 2012

E-MERGEnt > Self

Both this reading and the new technologies that were brought up in this lesson were very eye opening to me. Personally, I view art-making as something that is done with a paintbrush and paint or a pencil. However, as a teacher of the future it important to acknowledge new technologies and keep up with them, as well as integrated them into your classroom when possible.

The I/O brush was very interesting to me. I envisioned a collaborative art project in which students could go out in nature and find certain textures that appealed to them and bring them back to the classroom and use the I/O brush to create a piece of work. There could also be very many interesting lessons about color theory that could stem from this tool.

All the technologies also really opened my eyes to different kinds of art. Students should not be limited to just using a pastel and a piece of paper. Why not give the student the option of creating a piece of work on graffiti playdo? This could also be incorporated with a lesson about street artists, and opening students eyes to non-traditional forms of art.

Overall, this article and these new ideas broadened my view of traditional art education. I feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg and I would like to incorporate as much technology as possible, mostly because I will be able to reach as many students as possible with a variety of tools in the classroom setting. Something that also really stood out to me was addressing the "digital generation". It really opened my eyes to a whole new era of education and I also want to incorporate the idea's of open, hybrid, and media rich lesson plans. As teachers it is our responsibility to mesh the "original synners" with the "digital generation".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment